Upholstery and Carpet Care Tips From The Professionals
Keeping Your Carpets In Tip-Top Condition
Carpets and upholstery are probably two of the bigger purchases you make in a lifetime. Below are some useful tips to help keep these furnishings in tip top condition for longer.
These tips will help reduce the need to have your carpets and upholstery cleaned, ultimately saving you money and, extending the life and pleasure you derive from your soft furnishings.
- Vacuum your carpets and upholstery on a regular basis. Carpets act as a filter trapping the dirt, grit, allergens, dust mites and a whole host of nasties.
- When vacuuming, always go North to South and then East to West. This will lift the pile and aid the removal of dirt.
- Where adjacent floor coverings are wood, laminate or lino, keep these floors clean to prevent transferred soiling taking place. This will prevent greasy traffic lanes from developing.
- When attempting home spot cleaning or any general cleaning, only use WoolSafe approved products. These products have been rigorously tested to ensure they are safe for all fibre types and that they meet their claims and don’t leave a sticky residue which will later attract dirt.
- Should an accident occur, follow the DIY guide on this web site to ensure you don’t make the problem worse and to, hopefully, remove the problem. Where the stain or spillage leaves a residual mark or, if you don’t feel confident enough to tackle it yourself, call Aquatec Cleaning Group.
- The use of barrier mats at external door entrances will greatly reduce soiling being carried into the property. Care must by taken to ensure these are not tripping hazards. These barrier mats should not be neglected when vacuuming or having carpets cleaned
- Removing shoes at the door also helps reduce the amount of dirt carried into the house. Youngsters are good at this but the older generation are less inclined to remove shoes.
- Stain protection acts by placing a barrier around every fibre. This barrier acts in a similar way to the Teflon coating on a frying pan, by stopping dirt sticking to the fibre so readily. This means that your vacuum will remove more dirt, keeping your carpets cleaner for longer. The stain protection will also assist in dealing with spillages to prevent them from becoming ugly and unsightly stains. See the video below for a remarkable demonstration of this.
- When your carpets or upholstery starts to look a little dull or tired, that is the time to consider having them professionally cleaned. Always employ a WoolSafe registered Service provider – your guarantee of industry approved training, sound practice and tried and tested solutions which are safe for all in the household as well as for the carpets and fabrics being cleaned
- Consider a maintenance plan to allow regular cleaning of your carpets and upholstery. This will prolong their life, keep them looking good and save you money and upheaval.